Thursday, February 25, 2010

In this weeks article IPS Cell: Mapping the Policy Issues it mentioned that donors want to retain the right to their donated biological samples. What part of donated don't they understand? I could see if the research was going to go as far as cloning a human being and bringing it maturity. I can see a problem with that! But, if the research that is being done with the donors biological sample is to cure some disease or simply just to be studied and further the field of genetic or genomic research then by all means use the sample to the fullest. If they're any benefits gained by the research and it could possibly help the donor or his family than that should provided to the donor or his family to help in any medical way possible. But, I firmly believe that donors rights to say what the sample is to be done with has to stop at time of donation. This will alleviate any bottle necking of the progress of research and to keep an eye on what is being done with the sample their needs to be an ethic committee that looks or polices the scientist that are doing the research. I am probably sure that their is one that is specifically designed to oversee these matters and to make sure no ethical lines are being crossed. The main issue is to see that we don't hinder progress in the process. Now, lets make the Fortun turn and to back up my statement that I said in class is that I am not surprised that the folk lore of Iceland came into play with the people's reasoning for why it is so great that deCode is trying to unlock the secretes of genetic coding with such an unmuddied gene pool like Iceland's. But, I am surprised at the twist with the Mormons and how an Utah based company is working specifically with the Mormons because of their great genealogy research that each member does on their own family line. I can see why they would helpful to genetic research but I am wondering if they are crossing any religious boundaries by doing so and if the company that is doing the research is owned or operated by members of the Mormon church? And, if the Mormon church has any financial interest in the company that is doing the research? These questions I am curious to know and I am going to see if I cannot find the answers to them. I will post them later when or if I find something out from doing a little digging.

2 comments:

  1. Your view that donation means DONATION is not uncommon. I see you are assuming a regulative group of some sort that guarantees ethical research. If you were to back up and look again at the arguments that challenge your view, how would you answer them? That is, there's a certain amount of handwringing on the part of the authors. What would you say to assure them their concerns are unwarranted and that they will get in the way of research progress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and I will take into consideration what you have said.

    ReplyDelete