Sunday, February 14, 2010

I do agree with Professor Flower in his article Coming into Being: The Prenatal Development of Humans that in the first stages of life when the zygote has just become a product of two cells. Life has not begun, but is just merely in the first stages of becoming a life. Thus it is referred to as the pre-embryo stage it has not taken life form yet, but it is about to take on all the characteristics of life. I do believe this is the point that the professor is talking about when it is safe or better yet the point of at which scientist can harvest the pre-embryo before it does go through the next process in which it does fully become an embryo. Then any harvesting after this point would be in violations of certain ethics for certain individuals. However, I will still stick to my personal belief that it is not a violations of ethics if each individual agrees to the process that is being done. I am still sticking to the romanticism that we will be able to heal the terminally ill and do all sorts of good with this kind of technology. Who knows we may even find the secrete to immortality which I believe is at the very center of this technology. Maybe I am wrong that is just my personal opinion. In Fortuns book I believe that the Icelanders were very exciting in Kari returning home with the intentions of bringing the new jobs and money that would help out the Icelandic economy just like Keiko did when he first showed up on the scene in Iceland. I also believe that the Icelandic people believe that they were going to benefit in some sort of health care kickback and this is were I believe Fortun is making chiasma in chapter nine. He is doing this with his title in that the people trusted that certain things were going to happen to benefit them which made also gullible at the same time. The saying that I like the best in chapter nine was " no state no genomics" I believe that this little phrase is a catch 22 phrase were if you say yes to one you say yes to the other or vice versa. You cannot have one without the other and this opens the door to dirty politics.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to comment on the sentiment you express at the end of the post: the opening of the door to "dirty politics." You are right that "no state, no genomics" means these two necessarily travel together. And thus the door is open to...politics. Here it would be helpful to go back to Brown where we are asked to think about the various forms of politicization (i.e., it's not all dirty). So it becomes "yes, genomics; yes, struggle to have more good than bad involvement of the politics of state".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say yes too! We need to keep pushing the boundaries of our technology, but be moral about it too.

    ReplyDelete